Construction in Flood Zones

by steve • July 29, 2010
We wanted to share this interesting article from FEMA regarding building practices in or near flood zones: Designing for Flood Levels Above the BFE

BFE stands for Base Flood Elevation. In the event of a flood above an area's BFE, it is recommended to have a drainage plane behind your exterior siding to allow water to drain out rather than become trapped and cause damage. Cor-A-Vent offers just such a product to allow drainage behind your siding - the SVS Siding Vent System.

The FEMA website also has a tool to generate flood maps for your area: Click this link to check it out.